"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Thursday 15 January 2009

Inspired by Paul Klee - "A Little Tale Of A Little Dwarf"

This next section is a series of work that I did inspired by a Paul Klee painting called "The Little Tale Of The Little Dwarf". I found this picture in a book on surrealism


















I chose it because the patterns have a lot of detailed feathery black lines that lend itself to black stitches and marks. I was alto interested in the round shape and the neutrals with the black and orange that remind me of the planet Mars

The first thing I did was look at colours, proportions and textures and prepared some yarn wraps



































The brief was to show a progression of work, using a variety of materials and processes, from starting point to finished piece - a cushion cover

1 comment:

Lisa Hughes said...

Hi Carolyn,

Your series of "A Little Tale of a Little Dwarf" is so inspiring! Paul Klee is one of my favorite artist. The interplay between his complexity and humor can keep one entertained for hours. You have managed to incorporate both aspects of Paul Klee and come up with your own expression. Congrats! Lisa Hughes/Collage Artist-Texas