"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Wednesday 25 February 2009

Squares

A few squares in purple and orange from the Kandinsky "Squares with Concentric Circles" project

A monoprinted square with orange acrylic paint on paper painted purple. I love the squelchy branching pattern that can be achieved which looks a lot like coral and reminded me of fly stitches


















Some more of the pumpkin orange satin fabric with hand stitching/fly stitches in purple variegated thread and metallic threads, then machine stitched to paper

















Reverse Applique - A sandwich of calico, mixed orange/copper fabrics with purple satin on top. The squares were stitched on the back of the calico, then on the front I cut out the squres to reveal the orange/copper, then stitched round each square with satin stitch on my machine. I like this technique because you never know where you placed the fabrics in "the filling" and so it's always a nice surprise to see the revealed fabrics and patterns









No comments: