"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Friday 5 June 2009

Making beads with Tyvek, cellophane, angelina fibres and metallic threads

You will need:
  • Strips of Tyvek painted both sides with acrylic paint
  • Sweetie wrappers
  • Angelina fibres
  • Metallic threads
  • Wooden barbeque stick
  • Heat gun
Strip of Tyvek painted both sides
















Gather materials together
















Wrap the Tyvek strip round the wooden stick, then wrap a layer of cellophane sweet wrapper round on top, secure with a pin
















Next, wrap some angelina fibres around the Tyvek and cellophane















Heat the bead with the heat gun, holding the heat gun 6-8 inches away from the bead and twisting the wooden stick while heating










Then I added another layer of cellophane wrapper















I added some metallic threads










Heated again as described above









The finished bead is chunky and lovely - full of colour and texture. All the materials have fused together and when it has cooled down it will be hard and ready for stitching. A great little bead for any project - textile art, creative embroidery or jewellery, etc ...

BEFORE FOLLOWING THESE TECHNIQUES - PLEASE READ THE HEALTH AND SAFETY NOTICE HERE

6 comments:

Doreen G said...

I am going to be making beads for a special book and wanted something different so I will give this a try.

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

I'd love to know how they turn out Doreen

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Great looking beads! Love the texture you are getting in them.

You'll use just about anything in a bead won't you? I bet you have some seriously big bins with all kinds of great stuff in them. I do, so I can relate if you do.

Keep up the creativity. Love it!

Diana Bracy said...

This is amazing and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the beautiful photos and detailed instructions.

Diana Bracy

Annica said...

Great tutorials! Thanks for sharing!

Kella said...

I would love to give these beads a go and was wondering where do you by the Tyvek?

Thanks for sharing your technique.