"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Thursday, 29 October 2009

Punkie Night tonight

Traditionally, Punkie Night is celebrated in small villages in parts of Somerset on the last Thursday in the month of October (before Halloween). Children spend days carving pumpkins to use as lanterns with candles inside in a night time procession through the streets






















The photo is of me as a babe with a pull-along cat that was bright pumpkin orange with spooky green eyes. It's ok, I had two teddies handy to comfort me! I am lucky to still have the two teddies but I don't know what became of the pull along cat ...

6 comments:

Pom Pom said...

oooooooh! I love the concept of Punkie Night! Yes, another photo, please! Today, we leave the sun and sand and head back to snowy Denver!

Lorraine said...

Have a great punkie night..what a great tradition for the children..I took my 3 sons to a farm nearby today where they had a barn full of spooky stuff! we all love halloween but not the mischief part of it though

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

No, I agree - I don't like mischief but I do like "treat or treat"

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never heard of Punkie Night, but what a nice thing for kids. btw...love your new blog background!

Menopausal musing said...

I saw an article on Punkie night on the TV last night......... looked like a lot of fun. Loved the photo of you, you looked a little sweetie!

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

I still am :o) (lol - laughing at own joke!)