"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Monday, 8 November 2010

The butterfly effect

I'd like to share with you a very moving project that
I know you will want to be a part of

to make a butterfly

to make 1,500,000 butterflies

one for each of the innocent children
who perished as a result of the Holocaust

I Never Saw Another Butterfly

The last, the very last,

So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone....

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.

Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.


Written by Pavel Friedman, 4 June 1942

Born in Prague on 7 January 1921
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on 26 April 1942
Died in Aushchwitz on 29 September 1944

there is plenty of time
to make a butterfly

a whole year

you have till 31st December 2011
(click on any of the pictures for more info)

sorry ... I've been quiet
I've been feeling a bit down in the dumps
I've caught a chill on top of an existing chest infection
(cough, cough)

hope to be back rambling again soon ...

love
from
me

9 comments:

Sharne's Bit 'n' Bobs said...

My butterflies have already flown to Canada. I just had to support this, an old family friend came home one day as a youngster, to find his family had just 'vanished.'

Chrissie said...

Oh do get well soon Carolyn - get plenty of that healing sea-air!
I'd already got some plans in my head for a butterfly, to make after Christmas when life is a bit quieter. It's a wonderful project.

Patty Biermans said...

I hope you get well soon and thank you for the butterfly story. I sure will make one and sent it to canada. Greetings.....Peebee

fibrefrolics said...

Sorry to hear you are under the weather.Sending big hugs. Will certainly take part in the Butterfly project in the New Year. Take care and hope you feel better soon.
Penny x

Deborah said...

I had heard about this but thought I had missed the deadline! Thanks for the information. Hope you are feeling better soon!

mano said...

wonderful project - I'll take part next year!
I hope you get well soon! greetings, mano

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello Carolyn, I hope you are feeling fantastic very soon. The butterfly project is great. Take care Big Hugs Judy

Shoshi said...

Hi Carolyn - sorry to hear you've been poorly - I am also getting over it and still coughing so I know how you feel. Let's hope it's all over soon!

I think the butterfly project is wonderful and I really want to be involved. At the moment I am struggling to get the blinkie on my blog! Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm going to do a post on my blog for starters and take it from there.

You take care of yourself and get back to your usual bright creative self really soon!

Hugs,
Shoshi

mano said...

dear carolyn,
today I got your wonderful give-away. It was a great surprise and I love itvery much!!!
have a look to my blog and see all the wonderful things again! mano x