"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Wednesday 17 August 2016

memories of May

I have a little time today to catch up with my blog
and I'm sitting at my little table writing this ... gazing out to sea
it's a very misty mizzly sort of day
I can only just make out small fishing boats pulling out mackerel
there is no horizon ... just layers of beautiful silver grey

it isn't always so ...

sometimes the colours of Cornwall are beyond vivid
the sky so dark you think it will rain for sure ... but it doesn't always


this was a day my precious boy was fishing on the pier
and I decided to go and meet him for lunch ... take him some sandwiches

good job I grabbed my camera too ...
the surreal dark skies came over so fast
and I was glad to be on the spot to capture these amazing colours

Mousehole harbour

we've enjoyed some lovely times this summer
making the most of where we live and enjoying the beautiful weather

these are just a few photos from May ...

beautiful scenery and the softest sand on Porthcurno beach


I went metal detecting on this beach and cleared it of a lot of "rubbish"
I also found a toy cap gun and some "spendables"

I let my hubby drive down the narrow country lanes to Porthgwarra
it's a "hairy" drive ... with few passing places
you wouldn't want to meet anything coming up the other way!
but it's worth it, though, when you get to the tiny little cove

it's so peaceful there ...
the wild flowers and succulents are very beautiful
and there is a little place to have a Cornish cream tea


wild flowers at Porthgwarra

I also went metal detecting on the beach at Godrevy
(I have a growing collection of tent pegs and other "rubbish")
but I do find small amounts of money and interesting bits
and some of it comes in handy for rust dyeing

the thrift at Godrevy, overlooking St. Ives bay, was stunning
mid May ... and a change of scene
swapping Cornish harbours for Devon ones

the tiny harbour at Lynmouth


we travelled to North Devon ... staying at The Rising Sun
which overlooks the tiny harbour of Lynmouth

we had beautiful views of the harbour, river and out to sea




we took a walk on the pier ...

this unusual structure is Rhenish Tower
once used to store salt water and later used as a beacon
it was rebuilt in 1954 following the floods of Lynton and Lynmouth

Lynmouth pier and Rhenish Tower

the lobster pots and fishing baskets were interesting to me
fully of rusty barnacles, colours, shapes and shadows ...

looking closely ...


and looking through holes ...


holes and shadows of holes ...


and textures ...



the beach at Lynmouth appears to be a very dark grey black colour
but, on closer inspection, there is colour there too


I photographed the "toy boats"


and we met new friends ...


we went on the cliff railway to Lynton
had a cream tea at Villa Spaldi (the Devon way ... jam on top)
and visited the goats at The Valley of The Rocks ...


we had a very "blustery" day at Ilfracombe
visiting Damien Hirst's "Verity"

"Verity" meaning ... truth of principle or belief


Verity was created by Damien Hirst

she is an impressive work of art
a stainless steel and bronze statue standing over 66 feet and weighing 25 tonnes
she stands on the pier at the entrance to Ilfracombe harbour

I was interested to read that the sculpture is weather and lightning-proof
and underwent extensive wind-tunnel-testing to ensure her capability
of withstanding the force of high winds and sea spray

she is positioned in a place that sure does get the full force of sea gales
and it was incredibly windy on the day we chose to see her

if you wish ... you can read more about the context of the piece here

Woolacombe
just a little further west along the North Devon coastline
and we came to a place that I regularly visited, with my family, as a child
it holds a very special place in my heart

we stopped for coffee and Italian biscotti at The Watersmeet Hotel in Woolacombe
boy ... have I fallen in love with the place
the interiors are very tasteful indeed


this is "so" my style!
I'm hoping that I may get to stay there next year (please, please!)


and the beach is gorgeous because the light is amazing!

something beautiful to look forward to next year (pretty please)


back home in Cornwall ...

and another beautiful stay at The Godolphin Arms in Marazion

so ... this is just down the road from me
but a stay means we can enjoy a few drinks with our meal
and not have to worry about driving home afterwards

I was treated to this gorgeous room with balcony
and views over the causeway and St. Michael's Mount

the sun shone ... and we went on the beach with the metal detector
(fun times!)


I think of that lovely time when I gaze across the water to the Mount
(this is my view from my bedroom at home)


how the colours of Cornwall inspire me


I'm working very hard now for a show I'm taking part in
with the group I belong to - St. Ives Textiles
creating new textile pieces, framed work, wall hangings
the hearts I love to make and quite a few cards
(my sketchbook will also be available to view)

if you would like to visit the show here are the details ...

"St. Ives in Textiles"

Porthmeor Studios, Back Road West, St. Ives, Cornwall, TR26 1NG

17 - 24 September 2016
(10am - 5pm daily - free entry)

I will be at the show (all day) on these dates ...

Saturday 17th September
Wednesday 21st September
Friday 23rd September
Saturday 24th September

I really would be delighted to see you there
thank you for visiting x

10 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

As always, your photos make me dream of visiting those places for myself. Alas, that's not going to happen at this stage of my life, but it's lovely to think of the possibilities. And visiting your show - an impossible dream too.

Gina said...

You live in such a glorious part of the country Carolyn, and your photos are stunning. How I wish I was down in St Ives for your exhibition

TwinkleToes2day said...

I so adore looking at your photographs and imagining I can smell the sea and taste the salt air on my tongue. I find that I almost hold my breath whilst reading and wondering what pleasure will meet my eyes with the next mouse click. You tell a story so well with just a few words and glorious photos Carolyn. I certainly love the 'toy boats'; you do them so well! The hotel looks so restful a place, I think it would be wonderful to 'drift off to sleep to the sound of the waves', as they say. Heavenly indeed. I do hope your wish comes true to stay there next year. I will cross my fingers for you ;)
Love n Hugs, Mo xoxox

chrissie said...

Wonderful photographs Carolyn and took me back over 40 years when the only place we holidayed was Cornwall as my kids loved to surf. It was a treat to visit the quieter places and also for them to go on a fishing trip to catch mackerel that we fried in the open air as we were always camping then. I am sure the whole of Cornwall is a very different place now but the scenes looking out to sea remain the same. Thank you for sharing them.

Love Chrissie xx

Dotty said...

I haven't been to Cornwall or Devon for many years. Your lovely photos certainly make it a tempting destination! I do love the coast...

Debbie said...

Beautiful photos love the close ups of fishing equipment

Robbie said...

Lovely pictures!!!! I'd see one and think "that's my favorite" then you show another one and "that's my favorite"....love the texture pics, ducks....see I can't decide!!!

Sandies' Patch said...

Fabulous post Carolyn!
Your photographs are stunning.
So glad you're having a great Summer. xxx

Julie said...

Beautiful, beautiful post, Carolyn, thank you ❤️ My heart will be with you for the exhibition and hopefully there'll be some photos to see at some point. Enjoy it all xxxx

Catharina Maria said...

I am in love !! Beautiful photos , lovely Colors , ohhhh
Show us wat you vind with your metaldetecting please ?
Love Rini