"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Sunday 1 October 2017

autumn on the beach















Today is the first day of October and the first day in a new phase of my life.  This sounds profound I know but there have been a lot of things happen in my life over the last few weeks and, indeed, the last few years actually.  I have been quiet the last few weeks, considering and reflecting, making life changing decisions and adjustments.  I hope these changes will mean I have more time to follow my heart, pursue new interests and progress my work.  It's really rather exciting to find myself on a new path ...

These photos were taken on the beach a few days ago when I was rock pooling with my very dear friends Julie and Stewart.  I love how the camera picks up colours and textures that are otherwise unnoticed.  I adore the peacefulness of beachcombing and always appreciate the inspiration that comes from such a ramble amongst the seaweeds.



Recently the coast of Cornwall has seen hundreds of Portuguese Man O War wash ashore, most probably due to the storms over the Atlantic in recent weeks.  I confess to not knowing very much about these beautiful creatures, other than they cause very painful and potentially very dangerous stings when touched.  It is tempting to want to get close to them and I very carefully turned one over with a stone to reveal their luminous, fluorescent blue ribbons (tentacles).  However, they should never, ever be touched by human skin.  I intend to read up and find out more about them.

In the days ahead, I will share updates, news and begin again with my projects.  Till then, I send love to you all x

17 comments:

Ro said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos.
Wishing you all the best in your new direction.
Xx Rowena

Magpie's Mumblings said...

A-mazing!!! These are things I will never get to see so I appreciate you sharing your pictures. You are so lucky to live where you do and have such amazing things to see. Definitely HAS to be such a source of inspiration for your work. Looking forward to seeing what direction you plan to take next...and thoughts are with you.

Penny said...

Do love your beach combing photos.

Wendy Watson said...

What stunning close-ups! What sort of camera are you using Carolyn?

Anonymous said...

Dear Carolyn,
Taking time to reflect is so important: take time for yourself,
and best wishes for whatever you decide is right for you.

Thank you for your inspirational blog..I love it!
Marjorie

Sue said...

FAB photos Carolyn, we're currently in Port Isaac, and are seeing interesting types of seaweed that we've not seen before, so look forward to seeing more of your photos and words, Wishing you love and all good things in your new adventure xxxx

Evelyn said...

Lots of lovely colours and textures to inspire here Carolyn. The Portugese Man O War are beautiful - deadly but beautiful! Starting a new phase in your life is an exciting thing - time for new projects, new challenges and following your heart.... good times ahead!

Tanya Rogers said...

Lovely colours you've captured here...very inspiring. xxx

Angie Willis said...

How exciting this sounds. I love new beginnings and am excited to hear what your chosen path is. What camera do you use to take your photos? They are really lovely and something I especially like on your blog. Hugs
Angie xx

Anonymous said...

de superbes photos merci Monique

Sharne Gregory said...

Wonderful colours and textures in your photo's. I am down to St. Ives in a month and hope to get some interesting photos too. x

Erica said...

Carolyn, I can't believe these colours. They are so vibrant; just what I needed given our wet, dreary spring.

I am looking forward to your revelations about decisions you have recently made. I had noticed your absence. I miss you when you don't blog but understand life has been a challenge for you recently. Kia Kaha.

Julie said...

We had a wonderful ramble over the rocks didn't we? I love seeing the world through your eyes. My seaweed photos are still in my camera. The charger for my laptop broke before I could load them. Sigh! These photos are astonishing!

susan hemann said...

lovely photos! what is the thing that looks like leather strips?

Anonymous said...

Just marvelous textures. What an inspiration. xox

Flo Fflach said...

lovely images. we had heard of lots of portuguese man of war being washed up on our local west wales shores but we were travelling back from menorca

Tripping Down Genealogy Lane said...

Love these shots and color combinations!!! wow!