"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Wednesday 24 January 2018

black and white with a charge of colour

This week I am sharing two weeks' worth of collages for the project I am doing with my sister Evelyn, following the prompts from Randel Plowman's book The Collage Workbook.  

My first two collages are BLACK AND WHITE (the prompt for week 3):


I call this one "in the winter season".  It's a mixed media collage using a vintage image of two little boys pulling sleds, torn papers and tissue paper.  All my collages measure 5 x 5 inches.


This is "blanc et noir" which is apt because I used an image from a French magazine, which I then covered over with other imagery, an advert for Parazone, artwork with black pastel, a sweet wrapper with skeleton and some words "the twinkle in his eyes made him look younger".

Texture was created by gluing on some netting, letting it dry and then ripping it off again.  I stitched into the collage with black thread.


Below are my collages for COLOUR CHARGE (the prompt for week 4) and, again, both collages are 5 x 5 inches.  Colour charge refers to adding one ore more colours to a black and white background.

I'm back with my St. Ives theme for these, inspired by the work of Barbara Hepworth and Alfred Wallis.


In my "Barbara Hepworth" collage I used an image from a magazine advertising an exhibition of her work that was held at Abbot Hall Art Gallery and also one of Barbara Hepworth's loose charcoal drawings that I dipped in wax.  For the colour charge I used two pieces from an erosion bundle I did in 2017.  Some cotton linen hand dyed orange and rust and a rusted piece of artwork which I ripped up and dipped in wax.  Some subtle colour charge here.

Below in my "Alfred Wallis" collage I used an image he painted of St. Ives cottages and some printed numbers given to me by paper swap friend Heather Harker.  It also features one of my fabric Alfred Wallis cottages with stitch in black.  For colour, I have added some of my hand dyed ochre yellow cotton fabric and a small piece of monoprinted paper in blue and ochre.  I associate these colours with St. Ives, especially the ochre yellow reminding me of lichen coloured rooftops.  For randomness, I added the little figure just because I like it.


If you are inspired to join in the collage project, please feel free.  You don't have to share online, just do it for fun.  Just one or two small collages a week ... it's do-able I think.  Till next time when we explore the theme of monotone ... thank you for visiting today x

7 comments:

rtquilter said...

These are wonderful, Carolyn! Well done. I am so glad to see you online and hope your health and that of your family are alllowing you to enjoy your wonderful creativity! Looking forward to more posts soon.

Caterina Giglio said...

Just wonderful, and I do love Plowman's work, so happy to see you blogging and creating, cannot wait to see what else you get up to!! Take good care, xoxo

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think my favourite is the first one - I love those little boys with the sled. Collage is a process that seems to elude my abilities, but I'm looking forward to seeing your explorations.

Anonymous said...

Marvelous all. I do love the boys with the sled, the crisp black and white, the stitches, the tissue, oh heck love it all. xox

Lynn Holland said...

Lovely pieces Carolyn. I like that they are all 5”x5”
I’m enjoying following along your progress
LYNN xxx

Julie said...

Catching up again :-) It's good to see you creating again and I love these collages. The first one has a beauty and unity that works really well. I would love to organise myself to make a collage regularly and have plenty of papers to do it. There should be no time like the present.

Jill Wicking said...

I have found following this project compulsive...seeing what you and Evelyn have done; having a go myself and sharing ideas with my art group.
Don’t see a way of sharing my efforts with you🙃