"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Monday 27 April 2009

Tutorial - Making beads with Tyvek (Part 2)

This post follows on from the previous post about how to make a basic bead

WARNING - please read the HEALTH AND SAFETY NOTICE in Part 1 before proceeding

Part 2 - How to take the Tyvek beads just a little further with metallic threads

BEAD 1

Two strips of painted Tyvek laid on top of each other - the top strip is tapered to a point







Roll the Tyvek strips on the wooden stick and pin in place














Leave the pin in to hold the Tyvek
Wrap the bead with metallic thread and secure with a dab of glue stick















Wrap the bead with metallic thread in a second colour
Secure the end of the thread with a dab of glue stick











Heat the bead with a heat gun
The Tyvek will distort between the threads










The result is a very distressed looking textured bead which will add interest to lots of different textile art, embroidery or jewellery projects

BEAD 2

The only difference between bead 1 and bead 2 is that after heating the bead I then wrapped a second layer of Tyvek and threads over the first layer and heated again

Two strips of painted Tyvek laid on top of each other - the top strip is tapered to a point







Roll the Tyvek strips on the wooden stick and pin in place













Wrap the bead with metallic threads and secure with a dab of glue stick and heat the bead with the heat gun













Take another painted Tyvek strip and wrap around the bead and pin in place















Wrap with more metallic threads in a different colour










Heat the bead with a heat gun

The Tyvek will distort between the threads

































Two beads - I chose these colours to go with my next project on global warming. The global warming project is coming to an end for the time being, as I have other projects to show you, but it is a theme I will come back to as I feel it is a topical subject that must be pursued and I have many more ideas still to come out - but a change is as good as a rest (so they say)!!

13 comments:

Cathie said...

Oooh I love this - layering strips, melting, then layering again and melting again. What a great idea - and the texture that is achieved is amazing. Gonna try this right away. Thanks!

Julie said...

Beautiful beads, Carolyn. And a great tute again.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for your great tutorials - it really looks fascinating! I have some Tyvek at home and bought some shrinking plastic too in Sweden - maybe there'll be a fantastic plastic session to come this summer ...!

Some time ago, I saw some experiments with ironing motifs from plastic bags on sweatshirts (Outy Pyy, FIN - link on my blog sidebar) - have you tried that?

Jude said...

Thank you, That's really good, more to put on my list of things to buy.........yea! when I go back to England in Sept.

Judy Scott said...

these are brilliant ~ jx

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Thanks to all my blog buddies - Cathie, Julie, Anneli, Jude and Judy xx

Timaree said...

Thanks for doing part two. Next time I visit my daughter in California I will go to the craft store and get me a new heat gun. Then I will have some fun!

christine said...

hello,
I discovered your blog through Flickr Fibrefantaisie and it is fantastic! then I make a note on your blog and your work? my email is :pussikat@neuf.fr

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Thank you Christine @ Marie Claire Idees

natasha said...

i am wondering if using other non-flammable threads or yarns would look interesting. i will have to try that. i tried to use some fusible angelina film to wrap around, but it sort of just burned and looked like nothing. hmmm.

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Hi Natasha, I will have to give the angelina fibres a go. I think I would wrap them between the two pieces of Tyvek before heating, rather than around the outside - I will definitely try this and let you know!

EDITH said...

yES, YES, YES!
I have lots of metallic thread as I do lots of machine embroidery!
I am on a roll here!
Thank you again for an excellent tutorial.

Natalie said...

Many thanks for the tutorials. I've played with Tyvek before, but never thought about beads....
This will be fun!