"I begin with an idea ... and then it becomes something else"
~ Picasso

Wednesday, 1 February 2017

art focus

following on from the exhibition ...

I've been working away in the background in a quiet, thoughtful, way
aware that I haven't posted here in a while


between the exhibition in September and Christmas I had another bout of illness
the dreaded cough/cold and chest infection thingy that seems to be doing the rounds
this developed after having my flu/pneumonia jabs in October because I'm asthmatic

I had a short spell when I was ok and managed to do "Stitch St. Ives" in November
but with a burst blood vessel in my eye (which felt very weird)

during that time I  kept up with stuff for St. Ives Textiles, had a week in Somerset
 and did an indigo dye workstop at The Exchange Gallery in Penzance
...  then was exhausted for most of December


January was a busy month ... just catching up with "life"
I worked on a project full time with my hubby renovating our cottage in St. Ives
and seem to be doing ok so far this year apart from the asthma
(which is always worse this time of year)

these days I  have  to pace ... and I'm learning to go slower
learning to sleep better and take care of myself
and not beat myself up if I don't get everything done every day
so I think it's ok to dip in and out of my blog

better to pause and take a break than to stop altogether ...



so ... now ... the time seems right to share some catch up posts
and some of the other things I mentioned I would share in the last few rambles

I am focused once again on new work and new projects with St. Ives Textiles

the group has a Cornwall theme this year for exhibition in September
and I'm creating landscapes, seascapes and vessels with beach finds;
mussels, shells, barnacles, seaweed, pottery pieces, fragments of cloth
and other unusual / rarer discoveries like vintage bisque doll's arms


I continue to experiment with the various materials I love to work with
and have been developing my art practice working in sketchbooks, collages and mosaics

art is a great therapy for me and I never tire of pursuing my favourite themes in different media

colour texture and inspiration found in nature

studio gatherings and art that inspires


in April I will, once again, be at "Stitch St. Ives" with my textured textiles (see side panel)

and today, 1st February, I began a new weekly surface design collaboration with my sister Evelyn
working through the exercises in the book "Surface Treatment Workshop"
this week it's stamping ... which is really, in my opinion, a basic form of printing

these are a few of my first prints




I have more prints which I'm still working into ... adding layers of print
so will write more about this in the next post and share some of the processes I used


these are my main points of art focus this year
as I have chosen also to concentrate more on personal projects during 2017
but I will also share some of the things I have missed over the past few months
and give thanks to all my blog friends for the kindness shown to me

thank you for reading ♥